After the year 2000 Marposs began a program to acquire solid, well-structured companies, each able to supply a top-quality product in its field. As a whole, today the companies of the Marposs Group can supply a wide range of equipment for quality control in production environments. All of these companies were leaders in their field, but operated within local areas; by joining Marposs Group, now they can take a great benefit from the worldwide presence of Marposs, with its capillary sales and service network able to reach customers anywhere. These acquisitions have given Marposs the ability to expand the range of products and solutions, thus enhancing the capability to satisfy customers’ needs. Today the whole group has about 3150 direct employees. 1150 work at the Italian headquarters and the other Italian premises, 650 in the rest of Europe, 350 in America and 1000 in Asia.
Marposs was established in 1952 in Bologna Italy by Mario Possati (1922-1990) Marposs mission is to provide precision metrology equipment for use in the workshop environment during and after machining operations. The equipment is designed and built for a wide range of in-process and post-process applications and for guaranteed performance in even the harshest shop floor conditions. Marposs provides a global answer to customers needs, supplying the metrology equipment in association with non-destructive testing and a wide variety of sensors and machine tool controls. Marposs products are offered as a part of a complete project management and simultaneous engineering support to the customer. Marposs has become a world leader in measurement technology by offering its customers a combination of advanced products, market knowledge and commitment to long term global partnerships. Building on these foundations, Marposs has created an international organization able to deliver application, design and service support virtually anywhere in the world.
The headquarters facilities are in Bentivoglio, about ten kilometres north of Bologna, Italy. The headquarters consist of three factories set side by side, plus other service buildings (an internal restaurant and technological centres). The total covered space measures 38,000 square metres, surrounded by 30,000 square metres of gardens, plus yards and parking lot. This is the location of the central research and development, design, production, marketing and education/training organizations. The manufacturing organization has two major components: The Product Manufacturing Center which produces standard products. The Application Manufacturing Center, which produces customized systems to be integrated into customers' facilities.
Marposs operates with the most advanced equipment to assure the quality of its products. For instance, the assembly of printed circuits is performed on a completely automated SMD line, integrated with opto-electronic systems which assure optimum levels of quality together with a high degree of operating flexibility. Testing is made with advanced technologies and machines: full circuit inspection using mobile inspection probes perform boundary scan-type tests, the only ones capable of performing high reliability tests on printed circuit boards with complex integrated circuits.
Both Manufacturing Centers work in tight cooperation with the R&D department and with the three commercial divisions: the Machine Tool Division operates in the world of measurement and control on machine tools; the Standard Component Division works in the field of standard gauges and components for the gauge makers; the Special Application Division covers the area of customized gauging stations (manual benches and automatic machines) tailored on the specific customers requests.